These easy oven baked scalloped potatoes will be a hit at dinner time, even with the kids. They’re also perfect for gatherings and potlucks.
We enjoy a good serving of scalloped potatoes any time throughout the year, especially during the holidays. But there is nothing better than pairing these easy oven baked scalloped potatoes with a nice chicken, BBQ chicken drumsticks, ground turkey, or beef main dish.
Oven Baked Scalloped Potatoes
When I tell you this scalloped potatoes recipe is easy, I mean it! The hardest part about this recipe for baked scalloped potatoes is cutting the potatoes. Add this as part of your cheesy dinner and you have a delicious meal everyone will enjoy.
Ingredients for scalloped potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs. of yellow or white potatoes (about 5 medium sized potatoes)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
How to make scalloped potatoes in the oven:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Peel the potatoes, then slice the potatoes to about to ¼ inches thick. Finely chop the onions.
3. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
4. In the baking dish, layer the potatoes, finely chopped onions, flour, salt and pepper in that order. Continue to layer until all ingredients are gone. You should end up with the flour mixture on top and 3 layers.
5. Top the dish with the cubed butter.
6. Heat the milk until just before boiling, then pour the milk on top. If you are heating the milk in the microwave, make sure it’s extremely hot.
7. Top the dish with shredded cheese.
8. Bake covered until the potatoes are fork tender. About 50-60 minutes.
9. Once the potatoes are tender, uncover and bake until the cheese bubbles and browns. About 15 minutes.
10. We like to broil these for a couple of minutes just to get a nice golden brown top.
11. Remove and let stand for 15 – 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Notes & Tips for Oven Baked Scalloped Potatoes
Place a cookie sheet under the dish while baking to catch anything that bubbles over. This technique has saved such a mess for just about any dish!
More Tasty Sides
- Easy BLT Pasta Salad Recipe
- Oven Baked Scalloped Potatoes
- Cajun Roasted Carrots
- Easy Picnic Side Dishes You Need To Try
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipes