Weather Writing Prompts
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.*
Weather writing prompts are a great way for kids to get creative and learn more about weather and the science behind it.
Weather is something that affects us every day and it’s fun for kids to write about. It’s also important for kids to learn more about the different types of weather and how to stay safe during weather events.
With these weather writing prompts, kids will be able to share their experiences, their thoughts, and learn more about the weather.
Weather Topics To Write About
- What are 5 activities you can do outside during the fall season?
- What’s your favorite thing to do when there is snow outside?
- What’s your favorite type of weather and why?
- Write a story about a character who is stuck inside during a thunderstorm.
- Do you have a favorite season? Why is your favorite?
- Explain the importance of staying warm during a cold winter day.
- Tell me how you would prepare for severe weather events like hurricanes or tornadoes?
- Write a poem about a stormy night.
- What’s your favorite activity to do in sunny weather?
- Describe 5 different types of clouds.
- Tell me about a time when the weather ruined your plans or an event.
- Which is better, hot or cold weather? Why do you think it’s better?
- Write a story about a character who is stuck inside during a snowstorm.
- What’s the worst weather you’ve ever experienced?
- Write a short story that takes place during a warm summer day.
- Write a letter to a friend describing the weather in your area.
- Write a haiku about a thunderstorm.
- Tell me about how a rainbow forms.
- What state do you think has the best weather? Why?
- Explain the importance of sweating and how it helps your body.
Also check out some fun spring writing prompts.
Weather Writing Prompts
- Make up a special holiday for each season and tell me about what you would be celebrating.
- Describe the weather outside your window right now.
- How does it affect your mood when the seasons change?
- How does the weather today make you feel?
- What is the difference between hail and sleet?
- What are your favorite ways to stay cool on a hot summer day?
- Describe the perfect weather.
- What’s the best outfit to wear on a rainy day?
- Explain how a snowflake forms.
- Would you like to be a meteorologist? Why or why not?
- Explain what a hurricane is and how it is formed.
- What state do you think has the worst weather? Why?
- Write a story that takes place during a tsunami.
- How do you think the weather affects the insects and animals outside.
- Why do you think the weather is different around the world.
- Pick a country that you would want to visit. Describe the weather they have throughout the year.
- Why do some animals go into hibernation? Which animals hibernate during the winter?
- Research and tell me what a snow squall is.
- What causes lightening and thunder?
- Predict what the weather will be like for the next 5 days.
More Writing Activities
- Weather Writing Prompts
- Spring Journal Prompts for Kids
- 8th Grade Reading List – List of Books for 8th Graders
- Memory Games for Preschool – Matching Games for Kids
- Nonfiction Writing Prompts for Kids