National Popcorn Day is celebrated on January 19th. If you love popcorn and want to celebrate the holiday, these activities and ideas are fun and easy!
Popcorn has become one of our favorite snacks to enjoy. There are so many creative things that you can do with it. From creating delicious flavored popcorn recipes to using it for arts and crafts, popcorn is everywhere and loved by many.
Table of Contents
Why is National Popcorn Day celebrated?
Did you know that we Americans consume around 15 billion quarts of popcorn? That’s a lot of popcorn! Source: Popcorn.org
It’s definitely a treat that deserves its own holiday which is how National Popcorn Day came about. Now, each year we come together on January 19th to enjoy that special treat in a fun, sweet, and savory way.
Creative Ways to Celebrate National Popcorn Day
To celebrate one of America’s favorite snacks, here are some creative ways to celebrate National Popcorn Day!
Make a popcorn crafts and activities!
Popcorn crafts are always popular, especially with the kiddos. If the holidays are close by, we like to string popcorn to put on the tree. That always makes a fun craft project and makes a budget friendly Christmas activity.
- Milk Paint Popcorn Rainbow from Kids Activities Blog.
- Popcorn Sheep Craft from In the Playroom. A fun and cute popcorn craft for kindergarten, the kids will have fun making this cute sheep.
- Popcorn Hyacinths Craft For Kids from I Heart Crafty Things.
- Do a science and math popcorn activity like KC Adventures did.
Make some special popcorn treats!
In addition to making some flavored popcorn, you can use popcorn to create a unique sweet treat. For instance, these popcorn brittle brownies and this buttered popcorn brittle are both special popcorn treats you can make and enjoy.
Play Popcorn Games
It may seem silly, but when the kids were younger, some of our favorite things to do on movie night was to play popcorn games. We’d set up a little cup or one of those inside mini basketball hoops and play popcorn basketball. This usually happened while everyone was getting ready to sit and watch the movie or once the movie was finished.
The kids also enjoy playing popcorn hockey, having a popcorn race, and popcorn catch. I could never catch that piece of popcorn after throwing it up in the air. My son on the other hand always caught the popcorn pieces.
Make creative popcorn desserts for birthday parties.
For just about any birthday theme, a popcorn treat can be made. Here are a few of our favorite themed popcorn recipes:
- Under the Sea Mermaid Popcorn from Ever After in the Woods. It will be a great mermaid party treat for your party.
- Galaxy popcorn from Mom Skoop.
- Popcorn Balls with M&Ms from Hunny I’m Home DIY.
- For Sesame Stree themed parties, this Cookie Monster popcorn is great.
- Unicorn popcorn from Barefoot in the Pines. Don’t forget the unicorn gifts!
Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom shares these helpful tips for creating a popcorn bar that will work well for birthday parties.
Enjoy popcorn as a healthy snack!
Popcorn is a healthy snack that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. That’s what is so great about it!
- One way to enjoy a popcorn snack is by making a trail mix with it. Delicious Meets Healthy shared a recipe for a healthy popcorn trail mix that you can try.
- You can also try this healthy air fryer popcorn from This Healthy Kitchen.
Use as holiday gifts
Homemade popcorn can make a wonderful and inexpensive holiday gift for friends and family. You can get creative with the gifts, make popcorn balls, or make traditional popcorn.
If you’d like to make a popcorn gift to give to friends and family, these sweet popcorn treats will be perfect.
- White Chocolate Christmas Popcorn from The Kitchen is my Playground.
- Grinch Popcorn from Kim Schob. You certainly can’t celebrate Christmas without this tasty Grinch popcorn!
- Christmas Crunch Popcorn Mix from Erhardts Eat. Want a popcorn snack for Christmas? This Christmas crunch mix is delicious and easy to make.
- Peppermint Bark Popcorn from Art from My Table. The refreshing peppermint flavor and chocolate are used to create this peppermint bark popcorn.
- Christmas Popcorn from Hungry Healthy Happy.
- Gingerbread popcorn from Hunger Thirst Play
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn from Cocktails and Appetizers.
Serve as snacks during holiday parties.
No matter what holiday you are celebrating, there is a popcorn treat that you can make! A few ideas for your next holiday party:
- Valentine’s Day Popcorn Mix from Barefoot in the Pines.
- Popcorn cupcakes for any holiday from Frugal Mom Eh.
- Halloween popcorn balls from Maple and Mango. These would go great with a fun game of Halloween bingo!
Enjoy National Popcorn Day with a movie!
Whether you choose to go out to see a movie to stay in to have a movie marathon, the perfect snack is popcorn.
I don’t know about you, but when we head to the movie theatre, that tasty bucket of popcorn is a must-have while we enjoy the movie.
If we choose to stay in and watch some of our favorite movies, we make popcorn, curl up with a blanket, and watch a movie or two. It’s one of our favorite things to do. It’s also a tradition for us to enjoy some popcorn as we do our Halloween movie marathon.
Hopefully, you can participate in some of these fun National Popcorn Day activities! It’s such a fun holiday to celebrate and an excuse (as if we need one) to enjoy some delicious popcorn!
Do you celebrate National Popcorn Day?
If you do, I would love to hear some of your favorite ways to celebrate the fun holiday. Do you do activities? Have a special popcorn treat you enjoy? Make a neat craft?
Pin this post so that you can come back to these fun popcorn activities to celebrate the holiday!