Learn how to freeze bagels. Plus, learn how to defrost bagels so that you can enjoy that fresh bagel taste months after you’ve purchased them.
If you know how to freeze bagels and how to defrost them, yay! However, many people don’t know that bagels can be frozen and if that’s the case, they won’t know how to freeze bagels. Then, they wouldn’t know how to defrost bagels and so on.
If you don’t know how to freeze bagels, or even if you could freeze bagels, no need to worry. We’ve come up with a simple tutorial on freezing your bagels so that you can join in on the fun.
Freeze Store Bought or Homemade Bagels
You can purchase the bagels from your favorite local bakery or shop and then freeze them. We like to do this when they are having a special on our favorite bagels.
You can even freeze homemade bagels that you’ve made yourself and enjoy them for breakfast or as a snack.
Is Freezing Bagels Safe?
Yes, if done correctly. If you freeze bagels properly, they are completely safe to eat.
Can You Freeze Homemade Bagels?
Of course! Freezing homemade bagels is easy and it allows you to use up those pantry staples before they go to waste. Just make the bagel, freeze it, and thaw it when you are ready to eat it.
How Long Can You Keep Frozen Bagels in the Freezer?
You can store bagels in the freezer for up to 6 months. They must be in air tight packaging and kept at a steady temp. So you don’t want to freeze, thaw, and then freeze again. (You shouldn’t do that with any food!)
Will Bagels That Have Been Frozen Taste Good?
Even after they’ve been frozen, if you freeze and defrost bagels correctly, they can taste as fresh as they were before they were frozen.
Benefits of Freezing Bagels
Freezing bagels has plenty of benefits and once you learn how to freeze bagels, life will be so much easier!
- Freezing bagels allows you to save money.
- You can pull them out and enjoy them as a snack or for breakfast.
- They will last for up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Quickly make your own bagel sandwiches.
- You can make homemade bagels and enjoy them for months ahead.
- Your homeschoolers can enjoy bagels as breakfast or a snack.
How To Freeze Bagels
Here are the steps to freezing bagels.
- Slice or cut the bagels before freezing. This will help you avoid having to try to cut a frozen bagel. Trust me, it’s not fun. There are many that don’t cut them beforehand, but most will recommend that you do cut them.
- Wrap each half of the bagel separately. You can wrap each side in plastic wrap or parchment paper. If you don’t have either, a paper bag will work too.
- Place the bagels in a heavy duty freezer bag that is sealable.
- Make sure to press all of the air out of the bag. You want to get as much air out as you can so that no moisture or air gets in.
- Place it in the freezer. Remember, frozen bagels will usually stay good for up to 6 months.
How to Defrost Bagels
Thawing your frozen bagels isn’t hard. It’s actually pretty easy. Just set the frozen bagels on the counter for about 20 minutes. This will let them thaw out naturally.
You can also microwave them, but to be honest, we don’t recommend it. Our bagels always come out tough and chewy when we would microwave them. Now, we just let them sit out a bit before we start our schooling.
Learning How to Freeze Bagels
Freezing bagels isn’t hard. The process is similar to freezing other foods and it will allow you to keep your favorite bagels for months. Just pull them out and let them thaw when you are ready to enjoy.
More Freezing Tutorials: